Monday, November 15, 2010

Kite Runner Response

The Book, The Kite Runner, By Khaled Hosseini, is a historical fiction novel that is a biography of Amir. The Book follows Amir from a young age to his thirties. It also shows his relationships with other characters as he moves from place to place avoiding the Russian soldiers. It tells about Amir`s struggle to be accepted by his father and to understand why people treat people the way they do and be racist.
I think Khaled Hosseini`s purpose in writing this book is to show the growth of Amir as a character. Amir shows a lot of growth throughout the book in different ways. I think the main growth he makes is that he becomes a lot more selfless. I think Amir also feels guilt because of what he let happen to Hassan.
“Made me see him my entire life, long before the winter of 1875, dating back to when that singing Hazara woman was still nursing me, had been a cycle of lies, betrayals, and secrets.
There is a way to be good again, He’d said (Rahim Khan).
A way to end the cycle.
With a Little boy, an orphan. Hassan’s son. Somewhere in Kabul”
    This quote shows that Amir still feels guilty for what he and his father did for Hassan’s family and is willing to be put in grave danger to feel relived from the guilt. The main reason Amir traveled to Kabul is that he wanted a weight lifted off his shoulders. He even achieves it after a very hard journey.
    ”...for the the first time since the winter of 1975, I felt at peace. I laughed because I saw that, in some hidden nook in the corner of my mind, I’d even been looking forward to this moment. I remembered the day on the hill I had pelted Hassan with pomegranates and tried to provoke him.”
    Amir had this realization as he  got the crap beat out of him by Assef. He finally felt at ease because he felt the pain that Hassan had felt.

No comments:

Post a Comment