Friday, December 3, 2010

Narritive of Meeting my New Sister

My sister and I sensed some big news as we ate spaghetti and meatballs at the kitchen table.  My dad`s fidgeting and my mom`s unusual silence signaled the coming changes. In the days before, my parents dropped subtle hints about the special surprise but my sister and I did not understand them. When my dad noticed my puzzled expression, he said, “We are having a baby!”. Screams and cheers of approval and sheer happiness erupted from the kid’s side of the table while my parents beamed at the positive reaction. When he said that, I knew a monumental transformation would enter my life. My mind raced. Would it be a boy or a girl? Would it look like me? Would we have to share a room? Would I have to change diapers!?!
     Before I knew it, my mom turned into even more of a health nut. She dragged me and any other unsuspecting family member on vigorous walks, ate strangely named vitamins that I recognized from aggressive commercials and drank lots of weird smelling herbal tea to coax the baby out.  Instead of watching television, our family past time turned into feeling my mom’s belly for kicks and movements.
    In a flash, the eve of the big day arrived, the arrangements were made and everyone was ready for the arrival of the newest Noble. We did not know if she would arrive on her due date.  We  eagerly awaited her arrival.  On the Friday before her due date, my mom walked us to school before her doctor’s appointment.  She did not come to pick us up after school as usual.  Our neighbor picked us up and told us that our mom was in the hospital having the baby.
    Early next morning my dad picked my sister and me up to go visit my mom and new sister. My dad asked us if we wanted to get balloons to make the new baby feel welcome but my sister and I quickly refused because we did not want to wait any longer. On the drive to the hospital I interrogated my dad on the labor, he said it was quick and easy (for him at least, my mom had a different story).
    When we got to the hospital room, her tinyness and fragileness confounded me;  afraid to even touch her for fear of hurting her. I could tell from the sweet innocent look on her face as I held her that we were going to be very close. At that moment I was genuinely happy to have a baby sister. Nowadays Im not so sure. ;)
   

2 comments:

  1. I dig this. It's quite a lovely story. How old is she now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. My sister is now 4 years old.

    ReplyDelete