Saturday, December 11, 2010

Trouble in the Water Narritive

It was a tropical day on the beautiful main island of Hawaii and I just arrived at Magic Sands beach with my family. I later learned that the beach had earned its name due to its constantly changing conditions. The sand moves where the waves break and uncovers dangerous rocks that often give swimmers cuts on their feet. The white sand reflected the blinding rays of the sun and burned the image of the beach in my head. The waves towered over any boogie boarder and smashed down with a deafening sound. As soon as my protective mom saw the treachery of the waves, she strictly said that my ten year old sister could only go in the water up to her ankle and my two year old sister couldn't put her big toe in the water. I was the oldest child in the family, so my mom had no restrictions except a weary warning to be careful. I didn't give much thought to it as I recklessly dived in to the raging ocean.

As soon as my body adjusted to the pleasantly cool water, I noticed the strong under-toe, but quickly put it in the back of my mind. Soon, my dad and I started to frolic in the water. We raced from one side of the beach to the other, constantly fighting the current but not taking much notice because of all the fun we were having. I was having an amazing time, until things turned dangerous.

With every time we crossed the water, the brutality of the waves seemed to increase. I found myself struggling to stay above the water. As soon as my dad recognized the trouble I was having, he suggested that we get out of the water soon. I knew that the surf was getting extreme when the local boogie boarders started to head to the shore due to the exceedingly rough conditions. As I glanced to the shore, I saw a frantic expression coming from my mom, at that time I felt guilty for putting myself in this situation.  

As my dad signaled me to make my way back to the beach, I started to take a couple strokes toward the shore. Before I could make it half way back to the coast, a violent set of waves assaulted me, slamming me against the rocks on the seafloor. I was flailing on in the water, when I felt the clench of my father`s hand, but with another crashing wave there was one hundred yards of water between us.

No comments:

Post a Comment